Tucked away in the Andean Mountains, Salinas de Guaranda is located in the province of Bolivar, 30 minutes from Guaranda, its provincial capital. Guaranda is conveniently located between the two major cities of Ecuador, Quito and Guayaquil, and can be easily reached by bus within 4-5 hours.
From Guaranda, there are frequent camionetas (truck service) "Antonio Polo y Trans. Salinerito" located in the Plaza Roja that leave to and from Salinas. Camionetas run approximately until 7 p.m (cost of the ride $1). Another form of transportation to get to Salinas is by taxi, which should cost around $10.
NOTE: The village of Salinas de Guaranda is located 3550 meters above sea level. If you are not used to the altitude, it is recommended to spend a few days in lower areas, such as Quito (2800 m) before arriving to the highlands. Warm clothing is highly recommended.
What to do in Salinas
The municipality of Salinas reaches from subtropics high up to the Andean mountains, offering immense natural diversity and activities for tastes of different kind, such as
- Tours to the cooperative companies
- Hiking and observing the flora and fauna
- Visiting rural communities
- Visiting the ancient salt mines and Cultural Center of Matiavi-Salinas
- Local Events and Festivals: The Day of the Kings (January), Carnaval (February-March), the Founding Day of the Parish (May), the Annual Cheese Festival (November)...
The tourist office of Salinas is located in the main plaza and offers tours guided by professionals and information about Salinas.
Where to sleep
Hotel El Refugio offers visitors cozy rooms, meals, and several other amenities.
- Room with a private bathroom and cable TV $14 / per person
- Room with a shared bathroom per person $7 / per person